Hey Everyone! I wanted to recreate my favorite Thanksgiving dish, STUFFING!!! Only, I wanted it to be a plant-based version, which is insanely easy and confusing why it isn’t to be honest. As most of you know, I am currently residing overseas in Australia with my darling Benjamin, and there is obviously no Thanksgiving over here! We both thought it would a health and good idea to start celebrating some holidays that are meaningful to me back home in the U.S.A. and blend our awesome cultures together.
For the past 5 years, I have made my Thanksgiving feasts all vegan. Even when I wasn’t eating a plant-based diet myself. I just prefer to feel satisfied after indulging in an array of homemade Thanksgiving goodies, fresh bread, pumpkin desserts and of course, something tasty and healthy like this Cranberry Apple Stuffing.
I recommend making your own veggie stock with the scraps from this recipe. It’s super easy. Throw those onion tops, shavings of carrots and chunks of celery into a small pot, and fill with water until veggies are covered. Simmer for about an hour on medium heat, then strain. Use this flavorful stock to pour over your stale or toasted bread and sauteed veggies. Top everything off with some aromatic herbs, and dried, fruity cranberries which gives the stuffing a nice added chewy texture and burst of tart sweetness.
Feel free to add or omit what you’d like. Stuffing is very easy to make, and honestly should be enjoyed year round.
- 3 Cups Stale or Toasted Bread - Cubed
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 1/2 Cup Diced Apple
- 1/4 Cup Diced Carrot
- 1/8 Cup Diced Celery
- 1 TBSP Freshly Chopped Sage
- 4 Dried Bay Leaves
- 2 Springs Thyme
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Cracked Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Veggie Stock
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Dried Cranberries
- Chop all veggies and apples into consistent, medium sized dices.
- Saute with 1 TBSP Olive Oil until halfway cooked and add sage and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cubed bread into a baking dish, and pour warm sauteed veggies over bread.
- Pour veggie stock over stuffing.
- Add dried cranberries over the top of stuffing.
- Garnish with aromatic bay leaves - remove after cooking!
- Drizzle remainder 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Bake at 180C or 350F for about 35-45 minutes.