Hey Everyone! I know, I know… cherries cherries cherries lately, but, maybe I’m planning something. Maybe you just have to trust me on this. Regardless I do apologize for the cherry ripe overload, but I also think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with this fantastic recipe. I was so inspired by one of my favorite treats I tried when I first got to Australia, which is the Cherry Ripe candy bar. It’s pretty much a coconut bar soaked in a bit of cherry syrup and dipped in milk chocolate. It’s pretty legit stuff and my kids love them too. Problem is, it’s probably not a great idea to eat them everyday, so in order to curb my constant cravings, *pinches chubbies* I made a few recipes inspired by this sweet treat. Thus, the Raw Vegan Cherry Ripe Slice was born!
This slice consists of an oat flour base (take quick oats and zap them in your blender or food processor. Boom, your done)! It is blended with mejool dates that have been soaked in water, I also added a bit of the actual date water and a few table spoons of coconut oil. Super simple.
The cherry center is made up of my super simple, Black Cherry Chia Jam. Simply make this ahead of time, and yea, you’ll have plenty of jam leftover for other goodies, smoothies and your overnight oatmeal.
Then I top this tasty slice off with a homemade raw vegan cacao ganache and garnish the slices with shredded coconut. I recommend opting for the organic/healthier/probably a bit pricier coconut shreds because they won’t be loaded with starches or artificial sweeteners. If you like that stuff then by all means, use what you have and what you like! 🙂
These bars are delicious but a bit delicate due to the chia jam and the cacao ganache. I also recommend eating them in a cool place. It gets super hot and humid here in Australia and although these are a refreshing treat at home, probably isn’t a good idea to pack them up for a picnic unless they’re held on ice. Gotta be honest here about that. These Cherry Ripe inspired slices are great for dessert or breakfast.
I hope you enjoy this very easy to assemble recipe fam! ^_^
- 5 Cups Oats or 3 cups Oat Flour
- 10 Mejool Dates - soaked
- 1/2 Cup Date Water
- 3 TBSP Coconut Oil
- For Cherry Chia Jam
- 250g or 1 1/4 cup frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/8 cup water
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of your choice (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Agave
- 1/4 Cup Cacao Powder
- 1/8 Cup Coconut Oil - melted
- If making your own oat flour, simply pulse quick oats into a food processor, blender or bullet blender, which is what I use.
- Soak dates for about half an hour in warm water. Remove pits.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor until a firm dough is formed. You may need a little more liquid, so adjust if needed.
- Spread oat base into a 9x9 parchment lined baking pan and chill in fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Blend frozen cherries, water, cinnamon and sweetener (if you're using one).
- Add chia seeds and stir well to avoid any from sticking to the bottom of your jar/container.
- Allow to set for about 4 hours.
- Use leftover jam within 1 week.
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Ganache will harden like a shell once cold.
- Add jam to chilled oat base and chill in the fridge while you prepare your ganache.
- Pour onto your slices and serve immediately.
- Store in the fridge and eat within 3 days.
- You can add ganache prior to slicing, but it's a better idea to pour it onto sliced bars so it doesn't crack. It still will be a bit delicate since raw vegan ganache isn't very stable.