Hey Everyone! I have a really fun and straightforward recipe for Easy and Healthy Jam Drop Oat Muffins. This recipe is vegan friendly, full of vitamins and minerals, plus only requires a few simple ingredients. One of them being already made jam! I’m using homemade blueberry jam for mine but you can use what you have on hand!
I do a lot of baking. When I say a lot I mean pretty much every day since my family and I are working toward a cleaner, more sustainable and mostly urban homestead lifestyle here in Australia. It’s so rewarding! However, some days I need a quick and simple healthy recipe that will keep all of our tummies full and bodies nourished. These Jam Drop Muffins are pretty… rustic, another way of saying they look horrible. However, they are far from horrible! I actually think they’re kinda cute!
A great egg substitute whether you are plant based or just want to conserve your eggs for something else is using ground flax seeds. I simply mix 1 TBSP of flax meal to 2 TBSP of water and let a paste form, since flax seeds are pretty gelatinous. This method is appropriate, but definitely not limited to, for muffins, loaf cakes and brownies.
I mix my base ingredients for this batter gently. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, simply pulse your oats in a blender/food processor. I use my Ninja Bullet Blender and it works in seconds! After My main ingredients are gently combined, I fold in a little jam. If your jam is very firm, you can heat it for a few seconds in the microwave. Please do this in a separate bowl and not in the jar your jam is in. I’d hate to see a pretty jar of jam explode!
Simply dust the top of your rustic muffins with a little raw or coconut sugar. Pop them into a preheated oven 180C/350F for about 15 minutes. Let them cool off and serve! These jam drop muffins are a great way to eat healthy without spending an insane amount of money on health food ingredients. Which, there is nothing wrong with as I’d rather invest in my health now than later. However, that doesn’t mean in order to eat a yummy vegan muffin I need to have every super food paleo blah blah in my pantry at all times.
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe! I do a lot of plant based baking in my home and will be adding more yummy stuff. There is a vegan section under my recipe menu for those of you who are plant based and requested more recipes! <3
- 1 1/2 Cups Oat Flour
- 3/4 Cup AP or Wheat Flour
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 TBSP Flax Meal + 4 TBSP Water)
- 1 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (or any plant based milk)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Cup Jam
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Raw Sugar or Coconut Sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl, combine flax meal and warm water and let set until gelatinous.
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, sea salt, vanilla and milk.
- Whisk flax sees to loosen up and then add into batter.
- Gently fold in your jam.
- Place muffins into a nonstick and lightly greased muffin tin by dropping large spoonfuls of batter.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar for texture and added sweetness.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for about 15 minutes. Muffins should fluff up a bit.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- You may use any milk substitute or flavored jam you'd like.
- Adding citrus zest brings a little brightness to your muffins lives.