Hey Everyone! One thing I’m grateful for is the food that I ate during my childhood. So many memories of my grandma, her sisters and even my great grandma making stacks of homemade fluffy tortillas and eating them with lots of melted butter. There is nothing like it! This recipe doesn’t contain any lard though, so it’s a little healthier for the heart. You can definitely enjoy these homemade fluffy flour tortillas that happen to be vegan friendly and create some memories with your loved ones.
As many of you know, I am originally from California, and am currently residing in Queensland, Australia. It’s such a beautiful country, and although I have learned so much about this wonderful culture, I do miss certain things from back home. Tortillas are kinda scarce in Australia. Some of you Aussies may disagree, but as a California Native and Hispanic American, I’m telling ya, they’re scarce. It’s understandable. Latin America is clear across the world from Australia. Still, I don’t like the idea of paying $5.00+ for 8 mediocre tortillas.
So instead, we make our own. When you do it on a consistent basis, it becomes second nature. Homemade tortillas are not only a MILLION times better than store bought, but remarkably cheap to make too! I made a big stack of 20 tortillas for under$2.00 and all of the ingredients are most likely in your pantry.
I hope you enjoy this straight forward recipe for homemade tortillas. You can use any oil you have on hand, but I used a neutral canola oil today. Sometimes I use olive oil if that’s all I have on hand. They’re still tasty.
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- In a large bowl or, food processor with dough blade, add all ingredients and combine. Dough will be sticky.
- Dust your surface area with a little flour and knead dough for about 5 minutes. Dough should be soft and smooth.
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and let rest for one hour. Please do not skip this step or your tortillas will not be nice and soft.
- Portion out dough balls to your size preference and roll out into discs (or other fun shapes).
- Cook on a nonstick pan without any oil on high heat until bubbles form, then gently flip and heat for another 30-45 seconds.
- Place warm tortillas in a kitchen towel or tea towel and serve.
- Leftover tortillas should be wrapped in cling wrap and stored for the next day (if you have any leftover).