Hey Guys! I wanted to bake some homemade pop tarts recently, but wanted them to be a tad healthier than the normal stuff from the store. I’m not knockin you, Poptarts… This recipe is vegan friendly, using cold organic coconut oil, and a bit healthier thanks to adding whole what flour, heart healthy fats and you’re in control of your filling. I use a pretty clean jam, curse you high fructose corn syrup! *shakes fist at unhealthy yummies* but use what you’d like.
Contrary to popular belief, the brisee dough, used for pie crusts and yummy pop tarts, does not need to be tended to as gently as people think. You can add all of your ingredients in at once. They just need to be cold. If you’re using butter, I recommend grating it. Since we’re using coconut oil, you can simply scrape it with your spoon so it falls apart easier, or gently use your hands to warm it up. It’s hard to warm up once it’s been in the fridge. We want our fat to be cold in order to maintain the flaky texture of the pastry. Ice cold water helps with that.
My only recommendation is to not over work your dough. Once it’s firm, leave it alone. Form it into a disc in order to make rolling out easier once you’re ready. I used square pastry cutters to keep things consistent, but you can do this freehand if you wish! The world is yours. Make round pop tarts if you feel like it. Who’s going to stop you?
I hope you enjoy this pretty approachable recipe. I also have a video tutorial on YouTube for you guys as well! If you follow a strict vegan diet, please keep in mind that some sprinkles contain gelatin. I have other vegan recipes on this blog as well so be sure to check them out!
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole What Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cold Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Ice Cold Water
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Jam filling of your choice
- 1 TBSP Water
- 1/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- Sprinkles are optional but recommended
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients
- Using a fork and or your clean hands, gently work the dough until combined
- Wrap in cling wrap and form into the shape of a disc
- Place in fridge for at least 15 minutes, no more than 24 hours
- Roll out onto a lightly dusted surface and cut into desired shapes
- Add 1/2 tsp of the jam of your choice. A little goes a long way!
- Place tops ontop of poptart bottoms and press down gently with a fork.
- Poke holes on top of pastries so hot air can escape
- Bake at 200C/375F for about 15-17 minutes
- Let cool completely
- Add icing and sprinkles
Healthy Vegan Donuts Recipe HERE
Vegan Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe HERE