Hey Everyone! I’ve been adjusting my diet lately back to a whole foods and clean lifestyle (for the most part). In doing so, it’s really important to find alternatives of your food vices that will be beneficial to your body. These Healthy Vegan Donuts are made with coconut sugar – which is low glycemic and full of minerals, whole wheat flour, coconut yogurt and aquafaba – chickpea water. I plan on making a video and blog post on this subject very soon!
This recipe of mine results in a soft, cake-like baked donut. Store these in an air-tight container if you don’t gobble them up all at once! There is no special pan needed for this recipe, simply roll out a portion of the dough into a log and join the two ends together to form a rustic donut. Using a paring knife, you may cut a line all around the top of the donut for an “old fashioned”style looking donut.
The purpose of making a healthy vegan donut was to maintain the enjoyment of something sweet while nourishing your body. I always feel good emotionally when I make smarter food choices. Being a seasoned sweets fanatic, recipes like this are a great alternative, and you don’t need to be vegan to enjoy them.
I used a touch of soy milk, coconut oil and organic confectioner’s sugar (I would’ve used maple syrup or raw sugar if I had some on hand) in order to make the chocolate flat icing. You may use either cacao, cocoa or carob powder if you wish.
I like garnishing these donuts with almonds, coconut flakes, dehydrated berries or cocoa nibs. I will be uploading a YouTube tutorial later this week and will update this post!
Here’s to making smart choices, fam! *donut cheers*
- 2 Cups Whole What Flour
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Yogurt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 3 TBSP Aquafaba = 1 egg
- 2 TBSP Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 TBSP Powdered Sugar
- 1 TBSP Cocoa
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 2 TBSP Non-Dairy Milk
- Combine flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, corn starch and salt with a whisk.
- Add remainder ingredients and fold with a spatula until a stiff dough forms.
- Roll out small portions into 4 inch logs, then join ends to form a ring.
- Bake at 350F/180C for about 20 minutes
- Allow Healthy Vegan Donuts to cool completely before adding flat icing or any other garnish.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Consistency should be thin enough to dip a dount into, but thick enough to prevent dripping.
- If you don't have aquafaba, use 1 TBSP of flax meal and 2 TBSP of water to form a paste. This is your egg replacement!
More Vegan Recipes by Amby
Vegan Chocolate Chip Almond Cookies Recipe HERE
Vegan Green Tea Cookies and Cream White Chocolate Recipe HERE
Vegan Four Ingredient Sparkly Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe HERE
More Donut Recipes by Amby
How to Make Mochi Donuts Recipe HERE
Cinnamon and Sugar Donuts – Squared Recipe HERE