Hey Everyone. I did a little baking this weekend with my kids, and remade my Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake I recently posted. Well, I was still in the mood to bake more yummies, so I whipped up a Dark Chocolate Orange Cake, using my same loaf cake recipe. I had some oranges, chocolate chips and rich cocoa powder in my pantry, and dark chocolate plus orange is one of my favorite combinations.
This cake is light, yet rich, aromatic, with a gentle touch of sweetness. The bright orange zest cuts through the bitterness of the dark chocolate. This cake is well balanced and does not need any icing. I recommend using premium cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips. My favorite brands are Ghirardelli (when I’m in the U.S.) and Cadbury (When I’m in Australia). Good quality chocolate is the standard here in Australia. I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for Dark Chocolate Orange Cake. My base recipe for loaf cake is very diverse, so please play around with it!
- 1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter - melted
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- Zest of One Orange
- 1/2 TSP Sea Salt
- 2 TBSP Baking Powder
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Combine Eggs, butter, sugar, milk, vanilla orange zest and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift and fold in cocoa, flour and baking powder until combined.
- Add Desired amount of Chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Pour cake batter into a parchment lined loaf pan.
- Bake at 180C/350F for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan.