Hey Fam! I have been taking your advice and adding more recipes to the site, and to my YouTube channel. I was a little homesick and felt like some fresh bolillo, so.. since I can’t exactly find bolillo here in Australia, I made some and wanted to show you guys how to make bolillo Mexican Bread too!
Food is extremely powerful, sort of like the ocean; it breaks us peace, makes our environment more inviting, can actually kill us… but it is powerful. I felt a little nostalgia which I needed, and it made me really happy.
So, I hope you enjoy this recipe. I’ve also included a video tutorial for you guys as well!
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 1 Packet of Dry Yeast
- 1 TBSP Honey
- 1 TBSP Lard or Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 TSP Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch + 1/2 Cup water, combined.
- Let yeast bloom in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Add honey, lard and salt then stir.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add most of your flour.
- Combine ingredients with a spatula and stir for about 5 minutes until dough is sticky and elastic.
- Dust with more flour until your dough ball is formed and is no longer super sticky.
- Knead on a flour dusted counter top for about 15-20 minutes
- Let dough rest in a clean, greased and covered bowl for about 1 hour. Dough should double in size.
- Portion your dough balls, cut a slit on each of them and set on a greased sheet tray, covered with a warm, damp tea towel for 25 minutes.
- Add your cornstartch slurry to each bun.
- Bake your proofed bolillo for about 30-35 minutes!