Hey Fam! My darling has been spoiling the kids and I relentlessly all month by baking yummy goodies on a consistent basis. How I haven’t gained a single pound is beyond me to be honest, but I’ll keep my mouth shut, unless Cinnamon & Sugar Donuts – Squared are involved, and be thankful! These fluffy little pillows are lightly fried, rested on paper towels and then gently tossed into caster sugar with earthy and bright cinnamon.
The aroma in our home was that of a fresh donut bakery at 5 a.m. It made all of us really happy, and of course I couldn’t resist the desire to shoot these donuts (with my camera). We loved this base recipe that my darling used, and slightly revised. These donuts were simple amazing. He used caster sugar, which is a more refined texture than regular granulated sugar. It also adheres to the donuts a bit better and as the sugar slightly melts into the warm golden fried dough, it creates this very delicate crisp texture. If you only have regular granulated sugar, feel free to use that by all means. You could also zap it in a food processor if you’re really feeling ambitious!
It’s pretty important to keep your dough balls onto individual squares of parchment paper so you can easily add them to oil, while maintaining their shape and preventing them from sticking to each other or your holding tray. We usually save uneven pieces of parchment paper for projects like this. We do A LOT of baking in our house because for one, it’s our job, and two, we are both former restaurant cooks and now enjoy cooking and baking from home.
This recipe was borrowed and slightly revised from Cristina’s Cucina and it’s important to us that she receives appropriate credit! My darling used 1/2 caster sugar and 1/2 brown sugar because it’s his preference. We also used regular All Purpose flour instead of bread flour ^_^ He made little squares as well, which turned out so adorable, that we’ve decided all of our family donut holes should be made into squares from now one. We’ve also been brainstorming other flavor profiles for our square donuts for future recipes to add onto Amby Cakes!
- 6 tbsp /100 ml water
- 5 oz buttermilk /150 ml - room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 oz /57 g unsalted butter, melted
- 16 oz /454 g all-purpose flour
- 1 oz caster sugar
- 1 oz brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of dry yeast
- Allow yeast to bloom in warm water for about 5 minutes.
- Combine wet ingredients, including yeast, into a bowl and gradually combine flour with a spatula.
- Your dough should begin to crawl, meaning it should follow your spatula easily and become less sticky.
- Once this happens, place dough onto a lightly floured surface and begin kneading.
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes then place in a large bowl and cover with a warm, damp tea towel for about one hour.
- Punch dough and roll out, then cut into desired shapes.
- Place each donut onto an individual parchment square.
- Heat neutral oil to about 180C/375F *this is a standard frying temperature btw)
- Fry donuts until they are golden brown, and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Lightly dust into cinnamon and sugar by placing donuts into a small bowl of the mixture.