Hey Fam! I was sharing a lot of photos on my Twitter feed yesterday, and shared with you these White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies my kids made! I have been having them in the kitchen even more so lately and simply supervising and offering a little advice. Cooking and baking are great exercises to develop discipline, confidence and teamwork in terms of personal development. Curricular-wise, cooking and baking teaches us mathematics, science, history and craftsmanship.
I encourage any parent or role model to get in the kitchen with the children in their lives. My kids felt so proud of these cookies, and worked really hard and proficiently as a team. They even helped a bit with the photography and editing. I am really getting into the gloomy sort of food photography vibe as I want to build an updated portfolio, so I hope you enjoy this aesthetic and this recipe!
I always recommend using the best quality chocolate you have available to you. There is an insane difference between “white chocolate” made with corn syrup solids + vegetable shortening and actual cocoa butter and real vanilla. You don’t have to spend an intimidating amount of money on a decent block of chocolate these days, so please, don’t opt for the cheap stuff. It’s just no good. When I gift someone with food I want it to be a memorable experience to them. Maybe my chef-ego secretly inflates when someone remembers something I prepared for them, but it’s important for me as a chef to make food as powerful as possible; so it may evoke some sort of feeling in the recipient. Point being, is using decent ingredients will help with that. For a cookie recipe like this, good chocolate and real vanilla. Please abstain from the faux vanilla stuff.
- 2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour - unsifted
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar - packed
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter - room temperature/softened
- About 1/4 Cup Unsalted Pistachios - chopped
- About 1/4 Cup White Chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamed.
- Add dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in pistachios and white chocolate pieces.
- Portion cookies into golf ball size dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at about 375F for approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Caster sugar is a more fine granulated sugar. If this isn't available, granulated sugar works fine.